- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) Grapefruit juice
- 1/2 cup (125ml) lime juice
- 1/3 cup (75g) caster sugar
- 1 cup (250ml) tequila
- 1/2 cup (125ml) Cointreau liqueur
- 1 cup crushed ice
- 2 tbsp raspberry or orange jelly crystals
- 1 lime wedge
- Jalapeño chillies, halved lengthways, to serve (optional)
- Grapefruit wedges, to serve
- Lime slices, to serve
- Combine the grapefruit juice and lime juice in a shallow metal container. Cover with foil and place in the freezer for 3 hours or until frozen.
- Meanwhile, combine sugar and 1/4 cup (60ml) water in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring, for 2 mins or until sugar dissolves. Cook for a further 2 mins or until syrup thickens slightly. Set aside to cool completely.
- Use a fork to coarsely crush the frozen grapefruit mixture. Transfer three-quarters of the mixture to a blender. Add the sugar syrup, tequila, Cointreau and ice. Blend until smooth.
- Place the jelly crystals on a plate. Rub the rim of each serving glass with the lime wedge. Dip in the jelly crystals to coat.
- Pour margarita mixture evenly among glasses. Top with the chilli, if using, grapefruit and lime slices. Spoon over the remaining crushed grapefruit mixture. Serve immediately.